Hey!

Well, this is post number one, and the start of something beautiful.

My name is Jacob Anderson and the purpose of this blog is to share with you my hobbies and interests and the way I go about doing these things.

The blog will primarily be centered around my 1973 Datsun 240z. I’ve made a number project threads on websites such as HybridZ and the like, but I feel that something a little more dedicated should be instated.

I’d like to start this first post off with the current standing of my 240z, but first, a little background.

This car has been in my family’s possession since 1997. My father had bought the car from a family friend and to my understanding, the car ran, but not very well. It came equipped with Weber carburetors (DGVs) that were old and gummed up. Regardless of this, my dad did his best at the time to keep it on the road. If I recall, the car had its ups and downs (mostly downs!) and finally found its resting place in our garage where she sat for a good part of ten years. During my junior year of high school, the thought of selling the car came up…but I wouldn’t have that! My dad agreed that if we worked on the car together, he wouldn’t sell it. This was a perfect opportunity for a little father-son time. Keep in mind that both of us come from very little to no automotive experience, so this was a very steep learning curve for the both of us.

That is a very brief rundown of the car’s beginnings. Somewhere between then and now, the car received Weber DCOEs, then a header and so on. With our little experience, we didn’t have the patience to master the art of carburetor tuning, and the old L24 seemed oh so tired, so what were we to do? We searched for alternatives and finally came to the decision that we wanted an L28ET swapped into the car. A couple weeks later, we had the motor delivered on a crate and it has only progressed from there.

Eventually, we got the car running on Megasquirt, but then my dad was transferred and left the finishin touches for me. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to perform car work with only one set of hands, but I got it done. Then, I decided I wanted a bigger turbo and to install my lonewolf intake, all while thinking that the engine bay needs a fresh coat of paint.

The motor came out. This is where I stand at this point in time, but in the reassembly stage. I have strapped on a Holset HY35 and supporting modifications and am currently in the process of putting everything back together!

Phew! Okay, now, onto the pictures! Yesterday, I took some time and fabbed up a couple of brackets. The first being the bracket for the vacuum distribution block. The design is quite simple.

As you can see, the brackets are simply two bent pieces of metal. Its amazing what you can do with a long piece of sturdy aluminum from your local hardware store!

Also, I thought long and hard about how I wanted to convert from the old mechanical linkage on the stock L28 intake manifold to a cable linkage on this new lonewolf manifold. I was well aware that the manifold had no linkage provisions, so I knew I had to fab something up. A long session of sitting and staring at the throttle body did the trick! 🙂 I, again, went back to my aluminum stick and cut up a bracket and this is the final result, works great!

This is a horrible picture, but you get the basic idea. This bracket should do the job well. I made sure to give the cable a few good tugs to ensure that there isn’t too much flex in the bracket (which there isn’t).

That concludes my update from yesterday. However, I do have more photos to get everyone up to speed. I will elaborate on the details and plans in a later post, but for now, this should keep you readers content! 🙂

So there you have it! This is only the beginning, but I look forward to share my progress through my journey and hopefully answer others’ questions along the way. Most importantly, I want to help those who need it, because I’ve been there before (like I said, coming from zero automotive background).

Ztay tuned!

Advertisements