Procrastination has overwhelmed this part of the project for too long!

Last night, I decided I need to get the remaining undercoating off the bottom of the car before school starts (Monday, eek!). Last fall, we had floors put in an I chiseled off every piece of undercoating from the front of the gas tank to the end of the transmission tunnel right before the engine bay. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to drop the gas tank and get everything under there.

Well, now the time has come to where I am modifying the gas tank for a black box and the gas tank is down, so while I’m at it, I’m going to get this job done. The plan is simple, and follows the same routine with the rest of the car; Strip all undercoating off and lay down a coat of POR 15 rust tough paint.

My weapon of choice: A Needle Scaler.

For those of you who are not aware, a needle scaler is an air tool that utilizes multiple metal rods the oscillate back and for very quickly. When you apply the needles to a surface, it essentially “punches” the surface thousands of times and gives a good vibration effect to where the pieces will just flake off!

This bad boy can be had from Harbor Freight for about $50 if I remember right.

At any rate, this tool has worked well for me in the past, and I’d rather not use a torch and scraper (big mess!).

The nasty part about all of this is that I am not using a rotisserie, I go hard like that.

For this job, I’m laying on my back the entire time with pieces falling everywhere (and I mean everywhere).

Here is my progress so far:

This procedure can be long and difficult. At times, the pieces will simply flake and fall off in chunk, but other times, I feel like I’m just hammering away at rubber that has been super glued to the body. The more pliable the undercoating is, the more difficult it is to remove. The old, dried up brittle crap is nice because it almost falls off without me touching it.

At some point, the air hose kept flying off because of a worn out air connector on the needle scaler. I put up with this for about four or five times, but I eventually said screw it and moved onto something else for the night. I’ll have to finish this tonight.

I then moved onto my engine bay and decided to weld up the wiring harness hole. I used an 1/8″ thick piece of steel to put behind the hole and had my little brother hold it while I tacked it into place. This is what I came up with:

I know, I know, it looks ugly right now, but I plan to grind down the weld and use metal filler throughout the engine bay to smooth everything out. I haven’t mentioned it yet, but I am aiming for a minimalistic look in the engine bay.

My inspiration for this: inZane240’s engine bay (see below):

Check out his blog at:

http://inzane240.blogspot.com/

That’s all I’ve got for you all right now, but ztay tuned!

Advertisements