So between last night and today, I’ve finished all the things for the gas tank and it’ll be ready to install soon.

The fuel tank needed a blank 24 bolt fuel cell ATL cap to cap for the access hole at the top of the tank. Every vendor I could find wanted at least $50 for one of these simple aluminum plates. I paid $10.

As you can see, I picked up some steel stock on the cheap and went to work. For the price I would have paid for a silly-expensive piece of aluminum, I bought the steel, I sawzall, and a couple other miscellaneous items for the same price. Score!

Once I had the plate squared away, I turned my focus to the gas tank itself. I went ahead and cut slots in the baffle for the traps doors. Once the slots were cut, I drilled holes to mount the trap doors to the baffle with allen head hardware.

Before

After

I am not happy with how the slots turned out. I was forced to use a Dremel due to space constraints. I looks very ugly, but I guess it is function over form this time around.

Once the slots were in, I drilled holes and test fitted the doors. At this point, all modifications made to the tank were complete and I went ahead and gave it a bath. There was a lot of residue from the burnt off coating on the inside from welding heat, a bunch of metal shavings from grinding the access holes, and a lot of varnish that made for a nasty concoction. The tank and plate were now ready for their coat of POR 15.

Before

After

I was pleased overall with the turnout of the tank, even though some of the things I did weren’t up to my expectations.

In the mean time and between time, I decided to throw in my low resolution Megasquirt trigger wheel into my distributor. This wheel will allow Megasquirt to work with my stock optical sensor in my 280zx Turbo distributor. The stock wheel below doesn’t play well with Megasquirt.

So this is their solution that they have recently come out with, a lower resolution wheel that Megasquirt recognizes. Thanks Matt Cramer!

And here is the final product.

With this, I plan to run a coil on pack setup using GM coils. The finished product will look something like this.

This will result in a much more modernized method of ignition and won’t put as much stress on a single coil, but instead, spreads it out among 6 individual coils.

I kept finding myself wandering over to the issue of the brake line insulators. These insulators are rubber bushings that prevent noise and vibrations from transmitting from the fuel pump, through the fuel lines, into the cabin. The rubber insulators are not easy to come by, however, and I think I will end up making some custom pieces to fit my application. This will be necessary because I will be running 3/8″ stainless steel feed and return fuel lines instead of the 5/16″ and smaller ones that come on the car from the factory. This should allow an increase of fuel volume, as well. Here is what the old original insulators look like now. Brittle.

Hopefully a solution comes to me within the week.

My final project for the day was to see if I could diagnose my drivetrain issue.

In August of 2010, I believe I damaged either my rear end, CV axles, or wheel bearings during the Midwest Z Fest track day. Upon leaving the track, I noticed that under acceleration, a metallic clicking noise occurred followed by vibrations at highway speeds. Since then, tonight was the first night I really took a look at some of these parts and gave them a review.

My first order of operation was to check the CV out joints, which are really the only accessible joints of the two. I’ve taken this apart previously because I flipped the cage on both sides to shorten the overall length of the shafts due to issues of the geometry of the 240z rear suspension using 1988 300ZX SS viscous CV axles. This is what I came up with upon disassembly.

As you can see, the joints, cage, balls, and spider are in excellent condition. Nothing was broken, there were no metal shavings, nothing was stiff, everything looked excellent. I am not worried about these at all. I am, however, worried about the inner, which is a concern because as far as I know, I do not believe you can disassamble the inners…at least I haven’t seen it done. So, my next item I could inspect was the differential. I threw it up on the bench and discovered a concerning issue that may or may not be significant. I haven’t conducted research on this yet.

I am really crossing my fingers on this one because if either the CV axles or the differential must be replaced, well, it isn’t happening. I didn’t get a chance to check the wheel bearings tonight, but they are new. However, one of the bearings is stiff, so I am hoping that it may just be a bad wheel bearing. I don’t think that would cause a clicking sound, though.

That is all I have for you folks tonight. Until next time, here is a snap of the kind of weather we experienced out here in Nebraska. Toodles!

Advertisements