This weekend was a success, as I was able to accomplish my goal I set for myself and have made significant progress. I’m feeling good about my May deadline (knock on wood).

This weekend, I took part in our annual Alumni tournament at my high school, so I was bouncing between that and the Z. The first item on the agenda was the brake master cylinder. I picked up a 1″ Wilwood master cylinder, which is said to be an upgrade and essentially bolts right onto the stock ’73 brake booster. There were a couple small modifications made, but overall, it was a pretty easy fit. I did have to open up the two mounting holes a little bit and (still need to) order some metric adapters to mate my stock brake lines to the outlet ports on the bottom of the master cylinder. Turns out that if you have a ’73 and up master cylinder, the adapters on the bottom will work with this Wilwood master cylinder. Lucky for me, my car is a ’73. I started to pull the adapter off the bottom of my stock master cylinder, only to find out that this master cylinder is, in fact, a ’71-’72 master cylinder with the wrong adapter fittings (doh!), so I will be ordered the fittings from Courtesy Nissan shortly.

Master cylinders aren’t a very interesting topic, but necessary none the less.

Once I had the master cylinder squared away (well, for the most part, minus the fittings), I went ahead and directed my attention to the gas tank. I wanted to get this tank in so that I could set the car down on the ground (for the first time in over 6 months!) in order to get the motor in. Fortunately, this was a pretty straight forward task and only came with one minor issue. I drilled a hole for the fitting that comes out of the tank for the positive and negative leads on the fuel pump and mounted it right where everyone else that has done this conversion does. Well, turns out, this fitting ended up touching a little triangular mount piece on the top of the tank, but it ended up not being a huge issue and I installed the tank with the fitting making contact with the mount piece. I will be keeping an eye on this because I don’t want any kind of rubbing or movement that could cause wires to fray, especially near the gas tank.

Then, once this was done, I moved onto putting the motor into the car. This was the second time I have put the motor into the car, and it actually went quite well. This component of the project started late Saturday night, right around midnight. I had met with some old alumni friends and decided I wanted to make sure the engine was in by weekend end, so I made a late night of prep work and finally headed to bed at 5 AM. Upon waking up at 10 AM the next morning, I hustled out to the garage. I installed flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, transmission, starter, and slave cylinder. Once this was done, I recruited the help of my brother and we dropped the motor in without any trouble.

I am relieved that this thing went in without a hitch. First of all, I was afraid that my turbo was going to hit the steering rod, even though others have done it, I was nervous! Also, as mentioned in a previous post, I was afraid that my new 4″ downpipe wasn’t going to fit, but it does! However, the wideband sensor may be a trick because of the location of the bung on the downpipe interferes with the firewall, but we will see if we can get it to work. The downpipe also comes extremely close to the steering rod bushing, as in, 1/8″ close! So hopefully it won’t melt the bushing.

That is all I have for today. Next weekend, I plan to install my braided fuel lines, intercooler, radiator, fuel pressure regulator, battery box, and then hopefully get started on the body wiring tuck. I will also need to figure out where I will route my MAP sensor vacuum line and wideband sensor.

Ztay tuned!

Advertisements