I’m making good forward progress, and we should be very close to the first start-up.

This past weekend, I was able to get most of my goals accomplished that I laid out last week. I had my first experience with making braided AN hose, which went surprisingly well! I was able to put together the hoses for the gas tank to fuel hard-line connection and all of the hoses in the engine bay. I’m very pleased with how they turned out, and I didn’t experience any major difficulties, phew!

The first thing I did was mount my AN coupler onto the end of my fuel rail and then attached my fuel pressure regulator to the other side. My only concern with this configuration is how close it comes to the hood latch. I’m worried that when the engine creates a torque, it will move a little and bang into the hood latch piece and potentially cause the piece to stress and potentially break. That may be a little far-fetched, but I am very cautious when it comes to dealing with fuel. Here is a photo to give you an idea of what I’m working with.

It’s hard to tell because of the lighting, but it comes super close to the latch. I may be able to get away with it, but I am definitely going to keep an eye on it. If the engine torques away from the latch, then I think I am fine, but if it doesn’t, it may end up running into the latch…eek!

Once I had that all squared away, I went ahead and start my hose making process. Not much to be said about this, just measuring and putting ends on hoses. Like I said, everything went well, so it was kind of fun. They look great, too. No more nasty black rubber!

Then, I moved onto the throttle cable. Honestly, this was the biggest pain in the butt thus far. I thought I had this all figured out and it would simply be a matter of drilling a hole, dropping the cable in through the firewall, and attached it to my throttle pedal.

NOPE.

I first had to think about how I was going to attach it to my throttle pedal, and I came up with this. I snagged this piece from an old throttle body I had lying around.

I figured I would just slip the little brass piece onto the end of the cable after I had fed it through the firewall and solder the end to keep it on there…but it had other plans. First off, it is a bear to try to work up in the throttle pedal area, so there was no way I was going to be able to solder up in there. I couldn’t do it by pulling out the cable and then slipping it through the firewall due to the size of the piece. It just wouldn’t work. So, at this point, I haven’t come up with a solution yet, but hope to within the next couple of days so that I can have it taken care of next weekend.

I stepped away from the throttle issue because I was getting frustrated and moved onto the intercooler piping and radiator. This was easy enough. I had to swap out some intercooler pipes and reclock my turbo because of the placement is different compared to the stock T3. I will also have to have the blow off vale flange and IAT sensor bung rewelded to the 45 degree pipe over on the driver side near the radiator.

That is all I have for you guys this week. I’m fairly pleased with how things turned out this weekend, but I am disgruntled about the whole throttle cable thing…grr. Like I said, I’d like to have that figured out by next weekend. After that is done, I’d like to mount my coil and start wiring. This should entail routing the body harness wires, wiring megasquirt, and relocating the battery to the rear. This will more than likely be the more time-consuming task yet. I haven’t even started drawing up my  wiring diagram and I still need to install my BIP373 coil drivers into my megasquirt box to drive my triple Ford EDIS coil pack.

Ztay tuned!

Advertisements