Peg board is one of those things that has always peaked my interest, but I’ve never really had my own pad to set it up just how I want – until now.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 3.50.45 PM.png
Cutting peg board at Home Depot

With the purchase of our new home and building out a garage to do some heavy automotive work on the 2J-Z, the 510 and to flip a couple cars, I need every bit of space that I can get. I’ve used a big cabinet for the longest time, but it’s very cumbersome digging around in that thing and I’d like something a little more convenient and easy to use. My answer: peg board.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 3.57.38 PM.png
The workbench

Luckily, our home came with this fairly sturdy workbench with some hardened wood that will be used as the primary workspace for projects. This is where I will be bolting the pegboard – it will be attached to the back and sides to take advantage of all the faces of the workbench.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 4.09.32 PM.png
Pegboard will also be applied to this face

Unfortunately, I made a mistake when measuring the dimensions for the boards and had to modify the dimensions to make the cut pieces work. This also involved me running to home depot more than a couple times to get this and that, which included the Dremel saw I ultimately ended up using to cut up the boards.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 4.11.42 PM.png
It was a nightmare trying to fit this giant board in the back of the Lexus.

I semi-recently purchase a Lexus SUV for jobs just like this..except this pegboard sheet I purchased was just a bit too big to fit without flexing and bending it into the back. That was fun.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 4.25.56 PM.png
Modifying the peg board with the Dremel saw

After checking some measurements, I broke out the Dremel saw and started chopping off small strips on the end of the peg boards in order to make the board fit on the workbench. The little saw did a great job cutting through the board, but unfortunately, I overworked the Dremel tool and ended up releasing the magic smoke. This was due to potential overheating issues from the blade continually being slowed down and “catching” and momentarily stopping part way through the cut. Fortunately I was finishing with all my cutting when it decided to let go.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 4.29.42 PM.png
The infamous magic smoke

Once I had my pieces cut, I simply fitted them up against the bench and used my electric drill to secure them.

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 4.31.14 PM.png
Bolting down the boards
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 4.31.52 PM.png
Peg board all around

I was finally able to secure the pegboard to the bench, but not exactly how I had planned. As you see in the video, I catch myself finding errors in my plan to attach the side pieces because once I bolted on the back piece, there was no where to attach the bottom of the side pieces. Fortunately, one side was wedged in and the other side just kind of…hangs. I don’t think this’ll be an issue though since I’m not hanging super heavy objects from the board, and the worse that’ll happen is the board will flex and distort if I do have weight on the thing.

So all in all, the project was a success. I can now move forward with a vise, hanging an underbench worklight and of course, start adding stuff to my pegboard.

Here are the tools I used for this project:
Drill: http://amzn.to/2m4oZ7D

Drill Bits: http://amzn.to/2mOuGEW

Dremel: http://amzn.to/2m3OC71

Dremel Saw: http://amzn.to/2mBsMuy

Safety Glasses: http://amzn.to/2l0vQvY

Ear Protection: http://amzn.to/2kF1djm

Link to video:

Advertisements